Friday, January 14, 2011

The Latkes Are Frying

SHABBAT SHALOM!

Hello friends and Shabbat Shalom from the holiest place on earth-Jerusalem! The past couple of days have been pretty amazing. I have seen so much already, it's incredible. We went to the Golan Heights on a jeep tour which was pretty fun. Up there we learned about the Six Day War with Israel and the surrounding borders. Pretty crazy stuff. That night we went out in Tiberias which was pretty fun and I met some more people. That night also resulted in a lot of inside jokes that I probably shouldn't post on my blog. Haha. We also visited the Kinneret Cemetery and learned about the Zionist movement that I feel that they are supposed to talk about so that they can get you to move to Israel...Nice story but I like the states.

We also went to a town called Svot. It was really nice and there we did a community service project. However, this project was extremely dirty and I just started acting like my JAP (Jewish American Princess for you gentiles) self. I really did not feel like digging dirt, but I eventually did and it was nice. We started building a park for Jewish children in the town to play in. How sweet. We then learned about Jewish Mysticism which I thought was okay. We then left and arrived in Jerusalem where were literally greeted by prayer and dance and singing...overwhelming but it was fun. OH and also on our way to Jerusalem we stopped at a rest stop and being that I'm not a fan of this Schwarma/Falafel business I got some nugs at a McDonalds...typical, but I was happy.

When we got on the bus today the Israeli soldiers joined us. One asked if I knew Snooki because I was from Jersey. Who knew that show was even here?! Little Seaside Heights has truly become a world phenomenon. Also today we went to The Kotel or the Western Wall. The experience was extremely moving. No matter what religion you are I feel that anyone can really be moved by just being in the vicinity of SUCH a holy place. Jerusalem is filled with really holy things for Christians and Muslims alike. I put my prayers in the wall and spent some time reflecting there. It was probably one of the most moving things I've ever experienced in my life and I honestly did not expect that to happen. We then explored around Jerusalem some more and went to the markets. It was really awesome and I ate Schwarma...AGAIN. But it was fun and really cool to see where people go to shop.

Tonight I went to the Reform Shabbat Services which was really neat because I've never been before. Now I'm waiting to go to our little post Shabbat fun thing and then we're all hanging out. Israel is awesome though and I'm happy I came! I will talk to you all later.

-Gabbie

No comments:

Post a Comment