Friday, June 11, 2010

Top 10 Frustrations While Here

I had inspiration to right this while in class the other day...so here we go:

10) Strikes

-For some reason Italians believe that strikes are effective. They strike for transportation which is inconvenient for me to get to class. Workers will even strike at some of Rome's main tourist attractions like the Colosseum, which is hard to believe since so much money goes through there every day. All in all, strikes=inconvenience.

9) The concept of no "right of way"

-Every time I cross the street here, my life is literally on the line. Instead of a car stopping for you they just keep going or will swerve around you. I have seen death flash before my eyes a gazillion times already. It's ridiculous, especially people and their Vespa gangs.

8) Usage of restrooms

-In any US city if you have to use a bathroom while walking you can simply slip into your local Mickey D's or Dunkin Donuts and just use the bathroom and get out. Here if you do that, they scream at you and get extremely angry and make you buy something. Now I drink a lot of water every day here as it is hot as hell, so naturally I have to pee, and this is annoying.

7) Tourists

-Now not to say that I'm not one but...the tourists are getting really annoying at this time of year. They make me late to class, frustrated while walking in the city, and really make me realize how ignorant some people really are. I guess living here makes me see things that I've never seen before just as a brief visitor. Now I see why other countries may have poor views on Americans...for example, I saw a lady at the Borghese museum almost start a fight with the security because she was confused on their policies about bringing bags in...just obnoxious, read the sign woman it's right there!

6) No air conditioning

-Now this one is a HUGE deal for me. I like my bedroom at night to be FREEZING cold, instead here it's hot as hell. I do not understand why there is no air conditioner here, it's just frustrating. First thing I'm doing when getting back to the States...laying against our central air vents for 4 days straight...just saying.

5) Getting ripped off

-So everyday between my two on site classes I am forced to get lunch in the center of the city. Let's just say this is a huge rip off for me. All these restaurants have set "tourist menus", which sound awesome but really are rip offs. It costs me 10+ euros everyday to eat lunch. However, if I wanted to eat around my apartment it only will cost 4-6 euros. It's ridiculous. Plus, why can't Europe get the concept of free refills...that is one of America's finest ideas ever.

4) People trying to sell my stuff

-I am sick of street people trying to sell me fake bags and sunglasses. Not going to lie I've bought two things, but I wanted them. Other than that they are obnoxious and need to leave me alone. No I do not want your heart shaped sunglasses, I am not a 6 year old.

3) Gypsies and Beggars

-To go along with three, I am sick of "bums" asking me for money. All they are is a bunch of gypsy travelers trying to get my money...and maybe steal my tears or do some weird voodoo on me, I don't know. You can literally be eating dinner or getting a drink outside at a table, and they will come up to you and ask you for money. Straight up inconsiderate. Maybe I'd feel bad for you if you didn't bother me while I'm enjoying my nice glass of wine, thanks. Not to mention half the time they are fakes as they lay on the side of the road with their faces covered with scarves so you can't see that they are perfectly fine. Sorry if I sound ignorant, but it's true.

2) Language Barrier

-Enough said, I try to speak Italian and I can't get across what I want to. It's frustrating. Hopefully one day I will grow out of this.

And my number one, biggest frustration ever is....

1) PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

-Public transportation here is so annoying. You get squeezed onto a bus like a sardine with a bunch of sweaty, clammy people because it's hot outside, it smells, and you have no air to breathe. The bus driver drives like a manic and school children are screaming. It is a nightmare. Not to mention sometimes when your waiting minutes, to half hours, to hours for this bus, it will drive right past you even though you are in the middle of their bus station. Also Italians do not care if there is clearly no room on the bus, they make their way on and do not care if they have to sit in your lap. Public transportation all in all, is a pain in the ass for a lack of a better term. I hate it in DC...but Rome has made me hate it oh so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment