Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tuscany, Hard Rock Cafe, and More!


Sorry I haven't written in awhile life got quite busy!

This past weekend we went to Pisa, Florence, Montecatini and a town in the Siena province for wine tasting! We left bright and early on Friday morning and made our way to Pisa. Once we got there we were immediately bombarded off the bus by people trying to sell us fake ray bans, fake rolexs, and more crap like that. At one point I was surrounded by three. These people do not understand no means no. I'll be nice to you but once you start to persist I will curse you out...which I did, and I probably sounded like an ignorant American but I don't even care. I do not like being bothered once I say no. It's harassment dude, you get arrested for stuff like that in the States!

Anyhow we finally met our tour guides and proceeded on to our hour (way too long) tour of Pisa. It was kind of interesting...but it was stuff I had already knew thanks to Art History senior year of high school. When we were done with our tour we took the cliche pictures of pretending to be pushing the Leaning Tower. I also took a video for the STA Travel Internship video application. Long story short...I ended up busting ass and busting my knee up pretty bad because I wanted to jump...it still hurts and it's Wednesday. We then ate lunch, which was okay and we split an amazing crepe as well (my obsession). I love them so much that I bought Italy's version of Shake and Pour Bisquick, which is Shake and Pour Crepes and I made them the other day with Nutella and strawberries...so good. Anyhow let me stop digressing. After lunch the other girls went to lay out and I went to see the Baptistery and Pisa's "Duomo" church. Both were beautiful and I got to see the artist Pisano's famous pulpit! I learned about this in high school art history and was extremely excited to see it! Finally when we were done we made our way back to the bus and to Montecatini to our hotel.

When we got there we split up into rooms, Danielle and I stayed together. It was really nice and the beds were super comfortable. That night we ate dinner at the hotel and got some wine. After dinner we all walked downtown to the outdoor bar where there was a band playing. It was funny because they were singing songs like Bob Marley "Is This Love" and the Italian accents just made it sooo much better! After that Danielle and I went to back and to bed. We watched CNN which for some reason was amazing considering it was in english! We woke up nice and early the next morning for our adventure to Firenze!

Our day in Florence was great! I did a lot of shopping for friends and family + myself at the Puma store for some great World Cup apparel which is in TWO DAYS! It's going to be amazing. Also in Florence we went to Ben + Jerry's, which tasted like the stuff from home mixed with gelato..it was delicious. Naturally I got Phish Phood. We also climbed up the Campanile (over 400 steps through narrow hallways!) and went to the leather market. I also went to the Ponte Vecchio and saw the statue of Dante in Piazza della Maria Croce. Overall the day was successful. That night we went back, ate a crappy dinner the hotel provided us, and had some fun in the hotel.

Our last day of the trip we woke up even earlier to go wine tasting. The day started off great in a beautiful vineyard known for producing Brunello, Chianti, Grappa, and some other wines. We got to see how it's done and where it's done. It was pretty interesting. Did you know you can go to college to learn how to make wine? Dropping out of Mason sounds like a good idea...After that we watched a pasta demonstration on how to make pinche pasta. It was fun. We then ate an amazing four course meal and drank some of the wine. We were stuffed and walked around the vineyard. Talk about an amazing place...I would so get married at a place like that! The view was great and everything. When we were all in our wine comas we walked back to the bus, passed out, watched "Inglorious Bastards" and ended up back at school.

This week has been alright so far. On Monday we were all extremely exhausted. I woke up bright and early for archaeology and ended up at the Foro Romano yet again...let's just say the Palatine Hill isn't as interesting the 6th time around as it is the first time around. After that class we met for art history at the "Arch of Constantine" and then proceeded towards the 2nd oldest Christian mosaic in Rome at Santa Maria Maggiore. It was beautiful and I had seen this image before in high school as well.
On Tuesday I was up bright and early yet again to go to the Colosseum for class..again. But this time the workers (as this happens quite often in Italy) were on strike so it was closed. I was happy and we got to leave early. During this time I wandered around my neighborhood to find that there is a MUCH closer grocery story than the one we had been going to. I bought a ton of groceries for dinner, lunch, and just snack wise. Also I got another cappucino as I always do...the barista pretty much knows my order all the time and has it ready. I then went to my second class for Art History were we just had a lecture on Raphael and Michelangelo, but I already knew it all from high school as well...who knew that would all help?!

Today was a pretty good day, I took a midterm that I know I so rocked in archaeology. I knew everything like the back of my hand. I then came back to the apartment, watched "Glee" season finale (so good!), made lunch, got my cappucino and headed towards the Vatican for Art History. When we got there it was amazing yet again. It's so hard to believe these artists (Michelangelo, Raphael, etc.) did such kind of work like that at that time period. Also the fact that it's all in pretty good condition. The whole Sistine Chapel was just amazing and I stood there in awe.

After that Alexis, Sarah and myself met our other roommates for a nice American dinner at the "Hard Rock Cafe". We have been craving it like no other and decided to go there. We ordered Pina Coladas, some burgers, and bought shirts. I blew a lot of money, but it was a one time thing and so worth it. I also got my Papa a shirt I know he's going to love! It was a fun time.

PHEW that was a lot and I have another midterm to study for and bed on top of that! Buona notte Stati Uniti e Italia!

A presto.

Gabbie

No comments:

Post a Comment